Thursday 29 April 2010

Happy Little Vegemite

Basil's been getting bored with his dry food lately. He'll leave his breakfast in his bowl till late afternoon before he gets down to it. Paula put some Vegemite toast and an egg in there the other day and he seemed to appreciate the added variety, so today while making my own breakfast, I cut up a slice of Vegemite toast to add to his bowl too. Instant success, seems it's much more interesting with the addition.

We made it to Lonny today thankfully. The cupboard had been fairly bare. We got some flour directly from the flour mill in town too, excellent stuff. I'm sitting wearing another of our purchases from today too. The single most comfortable dressing gown (or bath robe as Paula calls them) I've ever owned. Picked up a suit today too, for surprisingly little cost. I haven't worn a suit since march 2008, so it's going to be a little odd, but it's not as though it'll be getting a major workout, just the odd wear here and there. Sadly, I'm not an easy man to fit, so it doesn't completely match, the only pants of my size where black, the only jackets navy, but a very dark navy. Paula mistook it for black in fact till we held the jacket and pants together, but it's not too bad a match.

Basil and I took a slight deviation to our late afternoon walk today. Instead of turning right when we get to the picnic ground and following St Paul's river down to the Esk river bridge, we turned left and walked under the esk highway bridge over St Paul's river. Till we came across a log that had fallen over the path. It was only about 40 or 50 cms high, but Basil didn't want to cross it, so we turned around and went down to the Esk river before going back home. I guess it's a good thing Basil doesn't like crossing barriers like that or he'd have been over our back fence and among the next door neighbours sheep long ago. He'd be more than capable of making the jump, he's a fairly big dog, strong and fast too.

Lexi has been loving the fire, though I don't think she realises that's why the TV room is suddenly so much warmer. She'll come and get me out of the office if I dare stay past five o'clock so she can curl up on my feet or in the crook of my leg as I spread out on the couch. My mother would pay a small fortune for a cat that would sit on her feet, but then my feet aren't cold which is why cats want to sit on them. The Catch 22 of cats, people who want 'em to sit on them are cold, which is why cats wont do it, cats only like to sit on people who are warm.

Another thing we bought today in Lonny was a new tug-o-war toy for Basil. We've been looking for a pet store that stocks the Kong variety. We like the Kong toys because they're the only ones Basil can't seem to destroy... It took him five minutes to destroy his brand new indestructible toy. NOT HAPPY JAN. Paula has written an email off to Kong Co in the USA, we're not normally complainers of this type, but this was an exceptional circumstance.

I'd better go now, apparently the bed isn't warm enough... Lexi is walking over my keyboard.

No comments:

Post a Comment