Monday 19 April 2010

AWAK Alert

I've sent off my latest updates for the belt wars story to my pre-editorial team. I'm not happy about the latest work I've done on it. I have a nasty feeling I'm breaking one of Carvers' cardinal rules: AWAK (As We All Know) it's a clumsy device to be avoided by all but the most clumsy of authors and as I've found out an easy trap to fall into. Basically put, the writer has their characters hold forth in unjustified exposition of information through dialogue, thus explaining what's going on or giving important background to the reader. The problem is, it gives the whole story a feeling of unreality, it can jar a reader out of the immersion in the story any good author strives for.

I had an extra long play session with Basil this evening in an attempt to tire him out. I thought at the time it was unlikely, he is part border collie after all. Much to my surprise it seems to have worked. Not long after we finished (he actually gave up before I did) he took himself off to bed and we didn't see him again till just before we retired for the night. He stumbled in to the office asleep on his feet. I've never seen him so groggy. Speaking of groggy, time I slipped off to bed myself. I started a new fitness programme today and I mean to stick to it, which means I've got a 1.5Km run to go on in the morning. Basil wont know what's hit him!

No comments:

Post a Comment