Saturday 6 February 2010

Smoke Gets in Your Thoat

I should add as a quick pre-note to today's blog that it's been pointed out to me the way I've been doing this up till now is wrong. I've been posting early in the day and adding to the post with edits throughout the rest of the day. This may well have potentially resulted in readers only seeing the first paragraph or two, unless they keep going back to it too. I apologise. I hearby undertake to keep this daily blog of mine unpublished till the end of each day, then put it all out in one fell swoop.

We used another mozzie coil last night, so no nocturnal dive bombers. The air was very still last night though, no breeze whatsoever. Unfortunately this exposed a weakness of the mosquito coil I hadn't thought of. The room filled with the incense like smoke, leaving my throat very raw and resulting in Paula's snoring to be even louder than normal.

Turns out I've instinctively been doing what Jeff Carver recommends for starting a story. “It's often best to open in the middle of an action” It always seemed the logical thing to do to capture a potential readers attention, I just didn't notice that I was doing it till now. Nice to have it spelt out for me what I was doing and why.

I just had a very odd new idea for a kind of character not previously written about... Something totally new and exciting. Stay tuned to this channel dear reader. I'd better not disclose to many details at this point as I think it's going to be the basis of my next publication attempt. Suffice it to say for now, this type of character is an abstract form.

I've moved on to dialogue now in the Carver writers course. Come to think of it, it may be the only way to portray my new characters without seeming a bit too Omniscient. Put them in as totally dialogue defined, no physicality at all. I'm still struggling a bit with how best to bring these characters to life, I can “see” them in my minds eye, I just haven't decided yet exactly how they're going to interact (or even if) with the world you and I happen to inhabit. I can see them involved in dialogue with each other... maybe that'll have to be my entire first story involving them. A dialogue between two or more of these “beings”, maybe “doings” would be a better description. You'll just have to wait for the story to emerge to decide for yourself.

The sheep on the property next door got some new room mates today. Five lambs have arrived. Basil is very excited!



Tomato soup for lunch. The old fashioned Campbell's in a can kind. The one where the can says to slowly stir on one can of water while cooking, or half a can of milk and half water for extra creaminess. I've always just used one whole can of milk with it, makes it so much better. Well, with a locally produced milk they do down here called “Real Milk”, it's out of this world.

Finishing early today. Well, it is Saturday after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment