Thursday 18 February 2010

New Fangled Old Tech

I assembled our new push mower today. For such an old fashioned way of mowing the lawn, they've come an awful long way even since the eighties. I can remember mowing my mothers lawn back then with a push mower. When I say push mower, I'm talking about unpowered other than by what force the person behind it applies to it, no petrol, no electricity, just hard yakka. It was hard work doing mum's front yard back then, and it was a small yard, tiny compared to what I mowed today. I was a whole lot fitter, younger and stronger back then too, not to mention less in the way of back issues. (Though I have had back problems since my teens, they've just gotten worse as I've gotten older fatter and generally more brittle.) The modern push mower, the one we bought yesterday, is actually easier to push than most petrol driven ones I've used. It's a marvel of modern technology.

I've been digging around trying to find other magazines and or publications to whom I can submit fiction, especially science fiction, via email. I found another one. Though they only accept short stories during four specific months out of the year. February is one of them, so I'd better get my skates on and finish another short story pronto so I can submit it to them before I have to wait another three months.

Still no word from Aurlealis, I know their website says up to a three month wait to find out about acceptance or rejection, but that email I got from the editor seemed to indicate to me I should have heard something by now. Oh well, best thing is to put it out of my head, a watched kettle never boils and all that.

No comments:

Post a Comment